Holidaying With Two Small Boys...

Holiday:Noun
A period in which a break is taken from work or studies for rest, travel or recreation.

Wouldn't that be lovely eh?
When does a holiday not always feel like a holiday? When you go with children.

Off we went on a Monday to Friday break to Pembrokeshire to stay in a caravan. Now the thing about caravans is that you need to take so much stuff away with you. I took everything apart from the kitchen sink, although anything that goes in or around the sink came along!



We'd been there before so we knew it was lovely and great for the kids. But the long and short of it was this:

Monday - Pack and travel
Tuesday - Holiday
Wednesday - Holiday
Thursday - Holiday
Friday - Pack and travel

So our 'holiday' was three days.
Those three days were very nice. We went for walks, went swimming, had a day out to a zoo farm, let the boys sleep in the same room which they loved and spent lovely time as a family - memories were made. I just wanted more. More days together, more laughing, more fun and less of The Man checking emails on his phone while we were eating ice cream.
Yep work came away with us, and not just his, mine too.

I was still changing nappies, getting little people dressed, making the occasional lunch and keeping on top of feeds/medicine (The Baby was a tad poorly) as I usually do at home. I know, I know I'm a Mum and that's part of it but that is everyday for me, that is my work and I didn't get an escape from it. The Man did help of course but the weight of responsibility is always there.
As for The Man, well him having his own business means he cannot let go. The laptop came away with us and once the boys were in bed he would work and I'd watch TV. He can't help it and I know he doesn't want to be working while we're away but it makes me sad that neither of us had the proper break we needed.

On the plus side spending a whole week with The Man was nice and seeing him with the boys is always great. The Toddler came out with a couple of corkers that will be coming out at his wedding - Seagulls will now forever be know as Sea-Eagles and hot dogs are now fondly known as happy dogs. Those are the things I will treasure. We also had Fred the Ted from nursery along with us and I got a tiny bit carried away with taking pictures of him!



I do feel bad for even having a moan about this because at least we got to go away right? But something was missing and I felt a sadness about coming home and saying 'goodbye holiday' with The Toddler so soon. He keeps asking to go back to the caravan and 'can we go to the holiday shop mummy?' because we'd get him a little treat when we were passing it.

I hope we can go away again soon, hopefully for a bit more than three days but the Mum Job will always come along too. I want my children there of course, family time is the best but I need to come to terms with the fact that holidays for me are no longer as the dictionary describes.


Speak soon x

Comments

  1. Yes, vacations are much more complicated with little ones aren't they! And I've found that travel anywhere takes way more time than I thought it would. We've been blogging about our summer vacation too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea-Eagles and Happy Dogs! I love it!! It took me years to adjust to how much vacations change with children. They are not nearly as restful as I remember! I've learned to appreciate the memories anyway though. It's a beautiful time, even if it is still a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
Leave me a comment I'd love to know what you think...