First Time Mum vs Second Time Mum...

This isn't about me caring less about my second child more worrying less.
When my second came along I was already in mum world, it wasn't the all encompassing shock that your first child brings you and so...you let a few things slide.

1st Time: Pregnancy - "I'm 29 weeks +3"  Baby - "He's 17 weeks exactly today!"

2nd Time: "Hang on let me just get my diary".

1st Time: Baby came with me everywhere, I wouldn't leave him to go to the loo unless someone else was there to watch him.

2nd Time: I eat lunch in the next room without giving it a second thought and maybe hang out some washing too. I'll hear him if he gets upset.

1st Time: Sterilise everything! If that dummy or teether even tickled the floor it would be sterilised immediately.  And bottles were sterilised until the age of 1.

2nd Time: Dummy falls on the floor and I wipe it on my trouser leg. I'm already considering stopping with the bottles. He's almost 5 months.

1st Time: Needing to phone for the health visitors advice and approval before upping an ounce of milk.

2nd Time: We still have health visitors?

1st Time: All nappy changes were done on the changing table. If we were out I would wipe down the fold away table with an alcohol wipe and probably still put my travel mat on top.

2nd Time: The 'changing table' is the floor.

1st Time: Baby clothes were pre-washed and lovingly hung up on baby coat hangers.

2nd Time: Baby clothes are mostly pre-loved and pre-stained. You do buy some new ones but you put them on him so often that with each new wash they start to look like the hand-me-downs. 

1st Time: Your day strictly revolves around their naps and feeds. If they are late for either one then your whole day is thrown.

2nd Time: Oh he can sleep in the car and we can heat up the bottle somewhere - we'll figure it out.

1st Time: When visitors come over you text and probably ring first to make sure they don't ring the doorbell as baby is asleep upstairs and you greet them at the door with a whisper. You quietly enjoy your time together and hope they don't bring any noisy children along.

2nd Time: The Baby is asleep on the beanbag in the front room, The Toddler wakes him up with a noisy toy and generally being loud. Meh, he'll sleep later.

1st Time: Crying is the worst thing ever. A slight moan from them in the coffee shop sends you into panic mode and you can't think of anything worse than controlled crying at bedtime. You also regularly hold the monitor up to your ear to see if you can hear more intently even though it's on max volume.

2nd Time: Daytime -  He'll stop in a minute he's just tired. Night-time - Oh we've forgotten to turn the monitor on. Again.

1st Time: You love that little munchkin more than anything. Nothing will ever come close.

2nd Time: Your heart makes extra room and they are loved just as much.



Can you relate? Tell me some of your changes!

Speak soon x









Comments

  1. This is so funny! I'm on number 1 but I can totally how things will progress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're in permanent panic mode at first aren't you? Really nice when your relax into it and stop disinfecting everything haha!

      Delete
  2. You are completely right - first time round you worry about everything, second time round you are just happy if they sleep a bit and eat a bit...there is no time for worrying! Thank you, this really made me smile x
    Sian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I can only imagine what number 3 would be like! I'd probably leave it to feed itself! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading!
Leave me a comment I'd love to know what you think...